COBB COUNTY POLICE SHOOTING: Officers exchange gunfire with suspect outside bank in Marietta

by: Ross Cavitt, Rikki Klaus

COBB COUNTY, Ga. – A shootout near a Marietta bank has left an officer hurt.

It happened at the Fidelity Bank on Bells Ferry Road late Tuesday afternoon.

Paramedics took the suspect and the officer to the hospital for their injuries.

Channel 2’s Rikki Klaus spoke with witnesses who said they saw everything.

They said in the blink of an eye, a passenger exited a car and opened fire on officers.

Meanwhile, they said, the driver, who was in the car, had his hands outside the window, as if to say he wanted nothing to do with the shooting.

“That was crazy. I’ve never seen anything that crazy before,” witness Angie Sanchez told Klaus.

Cobb County police say it all started with a suspicious person call in Kennesaw.

Officers pulled over an SUV at the bank around 5:30 p.m. Police said the passenger jumped out of the car.

“The guy came out, and he just had a pistol, and he just started shooting everywhere,” witness Trevor Johnson told Klaus.

Witnesses said they heard about eight shots fired before two officers fired back in the parking lot at Cobb Parkway and Bells Ferry Road.

“In order to defend themselves, the officers returned fire and shot the suspect,” said Cobb County Police Department spokeswoman Alicia Chilton.

“I guess the man got socked, and he was laying on the ground over there,” Sanchez said.

“I’ve never seen anything like that before. I thought it sounded like fireworks to me. But it was a full-blown cowboy shootout,” Johnson said.

Johnson told Klaus the suspect appeared to have a few gunshot wounds, including one in the torso.

“He didn’t look too well when he was leaving,” Johnson said. “I saw the police officer after. His hand was kind of bloody.”


Paramedics rushed the suspect and officer, who have not been identified, to a local hospital.

Klaus learned the officer had minor injuries.

She watched as officers took the driver into custody.

Later, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation arrived at the bank and took over the investigation.

Officers flew a drone above the scene.

The motive behind the shooting is still under investigation.


READ ---  Legal action against Australian bank could affect NZ