Deadly flesh-eating bacteria infects Dallas man through new tattoo after swim in gulf | Dallas

A Dallas man died after a flesh-eating bacteria from the Gulf of Mexico entered his body through a new tattoo on his leg, according to a report. 

The 31-year-old man, whose identity has not been released, got the tattoo five days before swimming in the gulf where vibro vulnificus can be found. The bacteria that can spread by eating under-cooked shellfish or getting contaminated water in a cut or open wound.

Treating physicians said the man arrived at Parkland Memorial Hospital three days after he was exposed to the bacteria with extreme pain in his leg, KXAS-TV (NBC5) reported.

“Very quickly, over a couple of hours, it began to get more discolored, more bruised and had large blisters that began to form, which was certainly alarming to us as it was to him,” Dr. Nicholas Hendren said. 

The man, who also had chronic liver disease, developed septic shock and died two months he was admitted, according to an article co-authored by Hendren and published May 27 in BMJ Case Reports. .

Source