Tara Wood asks to cut ties with the troubled company following the sexual assault allegations against its co-founder Harvey Weinstein.
Tara Wood, the director of the documentary 21 Years: Quentin Tarantino, is the latest filmmaker to state that she would like her project to part ways with its distribution partner, The Weinstein Co.
“As a woman, creator and protector of 21 Years: Quentin Tarantino, TWC should respectfully release us from our deal, to allow the project to be handled with the care and consideration it, Mr. Tarantino, and all the participants deserve,” said Wood in a statement. “This project has always been in honor of Mr. Tarantino’s career, and I don’t want to see it caught up in this controversy.”
Wood, who previously co-directed the documentary 21 Years: Richard Linklater, released the statement on the heels of the sexual assault firestorm surrounding Weinstein Co. co-founder Harvey Weinstein that led to his removal from the company. After publication of stories in The New York Times and The New Yorker detailing allegations of sexual assault, rape and sexual harassment against Weinstein, dozens of other women have stepped forward with their own harrowing stories involving the mogul.
The Weinstein Co. nabbed the worldwide distribution rights to 21 Years: Quentin Tarantino, which looks at the first 21 years of Tarantino’s career and features interviews with many of the auteur’s collaborators (including Samuel L. Jackson, John Travolta, Jamie Foxx and Christoph Waltz) in May 2016 in Cannes. The company was aiming for an early 2018 festival debut.
Bob and Harvey Weinstein have a long history with Tarantino, working with him 25 years ago on Reservoir Dogs and all his projects since, including his latest, The Hateful Eight. Wood has not connected with Tarantino since the scandal, but on Friday his friend Amber Tamblyn released a statement on his behalf.
Wood is just the most recent creator to come forward with the demand that her film cut ties with the company. Hamilton creator Lin-Manuel Miranda and playwright Quiara Alegria Hudes also recently released a statement demanding that the company let them take the film adaptation of their Tony Award-winning musical In the Heights elsewhere. Insiders say that TWC is in a perilous position, even with Weinstein terminated from the company.
However, on Friday, Bob Weinstein denied that his company is being put up for sale or being shut down. “Our banks, partners and shareholders are fully supportive of our company and it is untrue that the company or board is exploring a sale or shutdown of the company,” he said in a statement.