Donald Trump Jr.’s decision to release his emails Tuesday puzzled John Oliver to say the least. The Last Week Tonight host who is on hiatus shared his thoughts on the story during Wednesday’s The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.
“What I found amazing was (Trump Jr.’s) confidence in saying, ‘This is nothing,'” Oliver said. “And, I don’t know what he’s referring to there — the contents of the emails? The contents of his head? If it’s the second one, I agree. If it’s the first, I fiercely disagree.”
Oliver elaborated on the cloud of bewilderment surrounding the issue. “The fact we’re at a point where you go, ‘Do you think they understand? Is it possible there’s not a logical sequence of thoughts in their minds that have made them understand the gravity of the situation they’re in?’ The fact that we’re wondering that — and you wonder it not just with this issue, but with a lot thinking, ‘Are they just too dumb to realize what’s happening?’ And the answer is not definitely no.”
But for Oliver, one good thing has come out of the Trump administration? You should read that “with an inflection up at the end” as Oliver does when he thanks Colbert for being inducted into “The Trump Attacked Me On Twitter Hall Of Fame” since “it doesn’t feel like an honor.”
The Trump tweet that earned Oliver a spot was shared by the president back in 2015.
“John Oliver had his people call to ask me to be on his very boring and low rated show,” Trump wrote. “I said ‘NO THANKS’ Waste of time & energy!” In the clip, Oliver denied Last Week Tonight ever extended an invite.
Read or Share this story: https://usat.ly/2ulZYKv