Fire in Corporation Bank, Rs 15 lakh worth valuables gutted | Kolkata News

KOLKATA: A fire broke out at the Middleton Row branch of Corporation Bank, off Park Street on Sunday morning. Fire officials suspect a short circuit at the server room might have triggered the blaze. The branch houses the bank’s circle and zonal office.

Several computers and documents were destroyed by the fire, which raged for close to an hour.

Residents and shopkeepers spotted smoke billowing out of the bank around 1.45pm. “I saw a thick cloud of smoke coming out of the building and immediately called the fire brigade helpline number,” said Sashi Jha, who works at a store in the area.

Four fire tenders from the nearby fire station on Free School Street rushed to the spot but they could not enter the building as the shutters were locked. The firemen broke the windowpanes and asked for gas cutters. The flames were doused around 3pm. No one was injured.

An official said the bank suffered losses amounting to more than Rs 15 lakh. The cash vaults, however, were not damaged.

“Since the fire broke out at the server room, we don’t know yet if it would hit the transactions and official works tomorrow,” the official said.