Hallucinogenic drug possibly to blame for GMU student’s death

FAIRFAX, VA (WUSA9) – A George Mason University student died after taking a hallucinogenic drug on campus—and the campus police department is worried other students may have the same drug.

The student was 19 years old and a sophomore at George Mason.

GMU Police Chief Carl Rowan shared a message and warning with the school community Sunday morning. He said officers responded to Potomac Heights Residence Hall at 4:41 p.m. Saturday. Emergency crews rushed the student to the hospital, but it was too late.

PREVIOUS: Father posts sign at local park warning drug dealers to stay away

“Police have been informed that other students may have this substance in their possession and therefore may be at risk,” Chief Rowan wrote on Facebook.

Students who took the hallucinogenic drug or may still have it, are urged to call 9-1-1 or contact University Police at (703) 993-2810. GMU has a “medical amnesty” program, which gives support to students who seek help after a first-time experience with alcohol or drugs.

The university has counseling services available for students impacted by the student’s death. They’re urged to call (703) 993-2380 or visit caps.gm.edu for counselor information.

© 2017 WUSA-TV

Source