There’s no denying the impact Harry Potter has had on its readers. Despite the popular book series having concluded 10 years ago with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the books continue to capture the imaginations of more fans (with several gathering together just last week). After all, as Amazon’s recent Kindle charts show, author J.K. Rowling’s books are among those that are consistently finished by their readers.
So it’s no surprise that the 20th anniversary of the beginning of the beloved book series is being celebrated with much vigor. Twitter and Facebook have featured special emojis, hashtags, and special effects, while the New York Times crossword is Harry Potter-themed (though it doesn’t quite solve itself — some magic!).
With so many readers looking back at the books and sharing why they loved them so much, EW presents, the most highlighted lines from all seven books (Sorcerer’s Stone, Chamber of Secrets, Prisoner of Azkaban, Goblet of Fire, Order of the Phoenix, Half-Blood Prince, and Deathly Hallows) as well as the script for the Harry Potter and the Cursed Child:
1. “It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets)
2. “After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.” (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone)
3. “Harry, there is never a perfect answer in this messy, emotional world. Perfection is beyond the reach of humankind, beyond the reach of magic. In every shining moment of happiness is that drop of poison: the knowledge that pain will come again. Be honest to those you love, show your pain. To suffer is as human as to breathe.” (Harry Potter and the Cursed Child – Parts One and Two)
4. “To have been loved so deeply, even though the person who loved us is gone, will give us some protection forever.” (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone)
5. “Always use the proper name for things. Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself.” (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone)
6. “Humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them.” (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone)
7. “There is no good and evil, there is only power, and those too weak to seek it.” (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone)
8. “Youth cannot know how age thinks and feels. But old men are guilty if they forget what it was to be young.” (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix)
9. “Indifference and neglect often do much more damage than outright dislike.” (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix)
10. “The truth is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution.” (Harry Potter and the Cursed Child – Parts One and Two)
If you don’t already own all the Harry Potter books, you can order them here.