The Trump administration has yet to say whether it will accept a pending offer of disaster relief aid from Mexico following Tropical Storm Harvey.
Mexico offered assistance Sunday, in a press release that also responded to President Trump’s tweets over the weekend.
In the tweets, Trump said Mexico would pay for a border wall. He also criticized Mexico’s crime rate in the tweets and said he was considering terminating the North American Free Trade Agreement.
“The Mexican government … expresses that it has offered to provide help and cooperation to the U.S. government in order to deal with the impact of this natural disaster — as good neighbors should always do in trying times,” read the statement.
Mexico previously helped disaster relief efforts after Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast in 2005.
In the aftermath of Katrina, a Mexican Army unit crossed the border to set up field kitchens and clinics for refugees in Texas, and a Mexican Navy ship helped recovery efforts in Mississippi.
But Trump administration officials have yet to say whether they’ll accept foreign aid this time around.
The White House said in a statement to The Hill that the State Department is handling the decision.
“The White House is grateful for the outpouring of support coming in from around the world,” a White House spokesperson said Tuesday. “We are aware of Mexico’s offer, and FEMA is coordinating with the State Department on the appropriate next steps.”
Still, Mexico’s government insisted the offer is on the table.
“Our offering is open and permanent,” said Carlos Sada Solana, Mexico’s foreign undersecretary for North America, to the Huffington Post.