Thousands of private investors who claim they were misled by Royal Bank of Scotland and its former chief executive Fred Goodwin into investing in the bank before it was rescued by the taxpayer are being urged to settle their legal case with the bailed out bank.
An action group, which represents investors involved in the long-running legal battle, has told its members that it had decided to accept the 82p-a-share offer, which RBS presented to them just hours before the case was due to begin last Monday.
The case has been adjourned until 7 June to allow the shareholders to consider the £200m settlement from RBS. If it is accepted the deal would avoid Goodwin and other former directors of the bank being required to give evidence in the high court.
A letter sent to members of the RBS Shareholder Action Group on Saturday states: “Having carefully considered the merits of the current offer … we have decided to accept the offer of 82p per share on behalf of our membership. This is a decision which is fully supported by our legal advisers.
“We understand that accepting an offer of slightly below the previously advised range of damages, being 92p per share and 234p per share, may be surprising to some claimants. However, there are a number of practical and legal risks which had to be considered.”
The letter goes on to state that while “the merits of the case against the bank remain strong, the merits against the individual director defendants has always been more mixed”.
It also adds that, even if shareholders won the case, RBS would likely appeal the claim as it relates to “a previously untested piece of legislation”, while another trial to assess the level of the damages would also need to take place.
It is understood that the group needs the approval of 70% of the claimants to accept the deal. An action group source said that institutional shareholders involved in the action would accept, while the majority of retail investors being represented by share trading platforms had also indicated they would take 82p a share. Each group is thought to account for around 40% of the claimants.
It is not known which way t`he remaining 20% of independent shareholders will vote or, if, their views will be significant to the result.
Some of those investors have previously been described as “diehards” as they do not want to do a deal, because they want to hold former senior managers to account.
The shareholders involved in the claim allege they were misled into buying the bank’s shares in a £12bn cash call in April 2008 – six months before it was bailed out – and bringing their action against the bank, Goodwin and three other former directors.
The letter to claimants also confirms that Trevor Hemmings, who owns Preston North End football club and has been providing funding for the claim, has decided to accept the deal and was no longer prepared to provide the funding for the offer – meaning that any shareholders wanting to continue would need to find a new backer.
The action group’s letter adds: “The claim is presently being funded by a substantial claimant in the action. That claimant has decided to accept the offer and they are no longer willing to fund the action. That means that there is currently no available funding to fund the legal and other costs to take the matter to trial”.
While the court is not sitting this week, Mr Justice Hildyard wants an update on Tuesday and asked to be told on Thursday if a settlement has been reached before they reappear in court on 7 June.
RBS has been facing a number of legal claims in relation to the April cash call.
In December, RBS started to settle claims which had once amounted to £4bn by announcing that it had £800m to share among the various factions bringing claims relating to the April 2008 cash call. The bank has settled with 87% of them without admitting liability but to “minimise material litigation expense and management distraction”.
The previous settlements have been around 42p a share.