South Florida forecasters keeping an eye on two disturbances in Atlantic

Forecasters are watching two disturbances behind Tropical Storm Harvey — but the chances of the first one forming into a storm dropped considerably Saturday morning.

Tropical Storm Harvey looks to be taking a path south of the state.

The first disturbance following Harvey is about 300 miles east northeast of the Leeward Islands. The likelihood of it forming a storm dropped from 60 percent Friday to 20 percent Saturday morning, thanks to upper level winds.

The disturbance is expected to move west-northwest at about 20 mph and keep a 40 percent chance of development over the next five days.

Much further east in the Atlantic, forecasters are also watching a tropical wave between the Lesser Antilles and Africa that is producing some shower and thunderstorm activity. Conditions for development of the tropical wave appear likelier early next week.

In the next two days, the wave has only a 10 percent chance of developing and a 20 percent chance in the next five days.

The wave is expected to curve northwest hundreds of miles before the east coast.

Meanwhile, Tropical Storm Harvey has sustained winds of 40 mph and is moving west at 21 mph. It’s expected to speed up and move through the eastern and central Caribbean Sea over the weekend.

The storm is expected to slowly get stronger in the next 48 hours.

A weak tropical wave will be moving through South Florida tonight through Sunday and will likely bring light rain. Monday is expected to be dry.

READ ---  Justice Department appeals latest travel ban setback to Supreme Court

The forecast for the Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Airport area is for a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon and a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms before 11 pm. On Sunday, there is a 60 percent chance of rain through the afternoon and a 20 percent chance of rain in the evening.

Meanwhile, The Weather Channel’s Bryan Norcross noted Thursday on Twitter that 25 years ago yesterday, Tropical Storm Andrew was named. Seven days later, Hurricane Andrew would bring catastrophic damage to parts of then-Dade County (now Miami-Dade), especially the southern portion of the county.

Source