UPDATE (Monday August 14, 2017): The verdict from Taylor Swift’s sexual assault trial is in, and the jury has unanimously voted in favor of Swift. Read more about the ruling, along with the singer’s moving statement following her legal victory, here.
Thursday (August 10) marks day four of Taylor Swift’s sexual assault trial against former KYGO radio host David Mueller—and it’s arguably the most important one so far. Why? Because Swift herself took the stand to testify against Mueller, and what she said is slowly making its way onto the Internet.
If you’re unfamiliar with the case, here’s a brief overview: According to Swift, Mueller allegedly reached under her skirt and grabbed her ass when the two were taking a photo together during a meet-and-greet on her Red Tour in 2013. Mueller sued Swift two years later for $3 million, claiming her allegations were false. Swift is countersuing for just $1. (More on that here.)
Mueller’s attorney, Gabe McFarland, cross-examined Swift, and multiple sources reported that she stood firmly with her initial statements throughout the entire process. According to Vulture, Swift forwent all formalities (like “sir”) and simply called McFarland by his first name. Her answers were direct, stern, and unwavering.
We’ll let you read them for yourself. Here are the 10 most powerful comebacks she said in court today (context provided where needed):
(1) McFarland suggested Swift could’ve taken a break from her concert meet-and-greet if she was so shaken up by Mueller’s alleged assault. (Swift previously said she was distressed by the incident but carried on with her schedule because she didn’t want to upset her fans.)
Swift’s reply: “Your client could have taken a normal photo with me.”
(2) McFarland noted that Swift is actually closer to Mueller’s girlfriend in the photo. (Presumably the point of this was to imply Swift could’ve been confused about whose hand, if any, grabbed her backside.)
Swift’s reply: “Yes, she did not have her hand on my ass.”
(3) McFarland suggested Swift’s bodyguard, Greg Dent, could have intervened if a sexual assault did occur. Vogue reports the lawyer then asked Swift if she was critical of Dent for not preventing the alleged incident.
Swift’s reply: “I’m critical of your client sticking his hand under my skirt and grabbing my ass.”
(4) McFarland argued there isn’t anything visibly inappropriate happening in the photo of Swift and Mueller.
Swift’s reply: “Gabe, this is a photo of him with his hand up my skirt—with his hand on my ass. You can ask me a million questions—I’m never going to say anything different. I never have said anything different.”
(5) McFarland argued Swift’s skirt showed no signs of disruptment.
Swift’s reply: “Because my ass is located in the back of my body.”
(6) According to Rolling Stone, at one point Mueller himself stated: “My hand came into contact with part of her body. I felt what appeared to be a rib cage or rib. … And it went behind her, and her hand, or arm, went behind my arm.”
Swift’s reply: “He did not touch my rib, he did not touch my hand, he grabbed my bare ass.”
(7) McFarland questioned why no one witnessed Mueller grabbing Swift’s backside.
Swift’s reply: “The only person who would have a direct eye line is someone laying underneath my skirt, and we didn’t have anyone positioned there.”
(8) McFarland asked Swift if she thinks Mueller got what he deserved. He was fired from his job at KYGO shortly after the incident, which is why he’s asking for $3 million in damages. Mueller claims Swift’s team is the reason why he lost his job.
Swift’s reply: “I don’t feel anything about Mr. Mueller. I don’t know him.”
(9) The defense asked if Swift is open to the possibility it wasn’t Mueller who supposedly grabbed her.
Swift’s reply: “He had a handful of my ass. I know it was him.”
(10) McFarland asked Swift if she had any feelings about Mueller losing his job because of the incident.
Swift’s reply: “I’m not going to let you or your client make me feel in any way that this is my fault. Here we are years later, and I’m being blamed for the unfortunate events of his life that are the product of his decisions—not mine.”
For more related to the trial, follow our coverage here:
–Taylor Swift Testifies in Her Sexual Assault Trial: ‘He Had a Handful of My Ass’
–Taylor Swift Is Asking for Just $1 in Her Sexual Assault Trial
–Taylor Swift’s Mom Says She Wanted to ‘Vomit and Cry’ After Hearing About Her Daughter’s Alleged Sexual Assault