At least 13 women have come forward with allegations of sexual harassment, sexual assault, and now rape, against Hollywood filmmaker Harvey Weinstein, according to a report released Tuesday.
The more than a dozen female employees and actresses told the New Yorker the incidents took place between the 1990s and 2015, and were more serious than last week’s New York Times story had reported.
Three women said Weinstein forced them to perform or receive oral sex, as well as vaginal sex. Another four women reported he assaulted them by inappropriately touching them.
In total, 16 people who previously and currently work at Weinstein’s companies knew about, had witnessed, or been the targets of his unwanted actions. They also said he used professional meetings to begin preying on younger women.
The entire group said Weinstein’s behavior was “widely known within both Miramax and the Weinstein Company,” according to the New Yorker report.
A newly released audio recording from a New York Police Department sting operation in 2015 includes Weinstein admitting to having groped Filipina-Italian model Ambra Battilana Gutierrez. He said the behavior was something he was “used to” doing.
Some of the women who came forward said Gutierrez went to the police about her experience and Weinstein got revenge on her, which scared them from speaking out.
The movie executive was fired from his own company last week after the report came out. He issued a statement last Thursday admitting partial guilt but has remained quiet since then.
“I appreciate the way I’ve behaved with colleagues in the past has caused a lot of pain, and I sincerely apologize for it,” Weinstein said. “I’ve got to deal with my personality, I’ve got to work on my temper, I have got to dig deep. I know a lot of people would like me to go into a facility, and I may well just do that — I will go anywhere I can learn more about myself.”