About 4,000 people evacuated and another 7,400 were told to prepare to leave their homes as fire swept through grassy foothills in the Sierra Nevada, about 60 miles north of Sacramento, the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection said Sunday.
The Wall Fire has burned nearly 4 square miles, injured four firefighters and destroyed at least 10 structures, but that number is expected to rise, fire spokeswoman Mary Ann Aldrich said.
The area burning was southeast of Oroville, where spillways in the nation’s tallest dam began crumbling from heavy rains this winter and led to temporary evacuation orders for 200,000 residents downstream.
“It leaves you feeling like you can’t catch a break,” said Sharon Reitan, who sought shelter at an evacuation center with her boyfriend Sunday night.
They were in Oroville on Friday afternoon when the fire broke out and roads to their hillside home were blocked. They later saw photographs of their home burned to the ground.
“The road that we live on was hit hard,” Reitan said. “We’re in shut down mode right now, it’s so devastating.”
The fire was 20 percent contained. It was one of 14 wildfires across California that about 5,000 firefighters battled Sunday.
Cal Fire has yet to determine the cause of the blaze.
Those who wish to learn more about the fire can call 530-538-7826.
Here are areas that are under evacuation orders as of 10 p.m. Sunday:
- All roads/areas north and south of Forbestown Rd. from the intersection of Highway 162 at Lumpkin Rd.
- All roads/areas south of Forbestown Rd. from Lumpkin Rd. to Robinson Mill Rd.
- Bangor Highway to Miners Ranch Rd. and Naranja Ave.
- All roads/areas east of Oro Bangor Hwy. from Miners Ranch Rd. to Avocado Rd.
- All roads/areas west of Oro Bangor Hwy. from Swedes Flat Rd. and Avocado Rd
- All roads/areas north and south of Swedes Flat Rd. to Robinson Mill Rd.
- All roads/areas east of Miners Ranch Rd. from Hwy 162 south to Swedes Flat Rd.
Here are areas that are under evacuation warnings as of 10 p.m. Sunday:
- All areas west of Miners Ranch Rd. and Dunstone Dr. from Hwy. 162 to Grubbs Rd.
- Everything to the north of Upper Palermo Rd. at Grubbs Road to Grubbs Road at Dunstone Dr.
- All roads/areas along Foothill Blvd. at Oro Bangor Hwy. to Oro Bangor Hwy. at Lower Wyandotte Rd, continuing south on Lower Wyandotte Rd. to the intersection of upper Palermo Road and Grubbs Rd, encompassing everything to the west to Oro Bangor Hwy.
- All roads/areas east of Oro Bangor Hwy. at Foothill Blvd. to Pinedale Ave., Pinedale Ave., north to Edgewood Dr., North to Hilldale Ave., west to Hwy. 162.
- All roads/areas along Glen Dr. from Oro Dam Blvd. East to Oro Quincy Hwy. and everything to the east of Glen Dr.
- All roads/areas along Oro Dam Blvd. East from Glen Dr. to Kelly Ridge Rd.
- All roads/areas east and west of Kelly Ridge Rd. from Oro Quincy Hwy. up to Oro Dam Blvd.
Published at 12:15 PM PDT on Jul 9, 2017 | Updated at 11:07 PM PDT on Jul 9, 2017